The Wyandot County Museum is housed in the fourteen room Beery-McConnell home which was built ca. 1852-1853 by George Beery for his recently married son and daughter-in-law, Isaac and Leefe (Fowler) Beery. The couple had four children including their daughter Leefe, who was born in the house in 1855. Following the death of Isaac in 1884 and Leefe in 1898, the Beery home became the property of their daughter, Leefe (Beery) McConnell. She had married Dr. Robert N. McConnell, a local physician and Civil War surgeon in 1891.
Dr. Robert and Leefe had two sons, Robert Jr. and Fowler Beery McConnell, who inherited the house upon his mother’s death in 1937. At the time, Fowler was on the Board of Directors of Sears, Roebuck & Co., and lived in the Chicago area. Not having an immediate use for the property, during the 1940s and 1950s, he and his wife Lucille rented rooms in the house out to various persons, including his cousin, John Powell. In 1946, after thirty years with Sears, Fowler was named President of the company and became Chief Executive Office and became Chairman of the Board in 1958. Following his retirement two years later, Fowler, along with his wife Lucille, donated the old family home to the Wyandot County Historical Society. The building and property was officially transferred on October 4, 1961 for $1.00 with the stipulation that the county museum forever occupy the home. The Wyandot County Museum was relocated from a small room in the Wyandot County Courthouse and was dedicated on June 12,1962 in its new home on South Seventh Street.